Tenants are allowed to erect a shed or a polytunnel on their plots, subject to the following conditions, which have been laid down by Harpenden Town Council.
Tenants must request an application form from Lettings giving full details of the proposed location and size and receive permission from Lettings before erecting a shed or polytunnel.
The specifications shown below are a guideline. Please obtain the latest details from Lettings officers.
· Maximum size: 1.2m x 1.8m x 2.3m high / 4ft x 6ft x 7.6ft high.
· All sheds must be of the same apex design (double pitched roof).
· Construction, purpose built timber.
· Base, it must be mounted on temporary foundations, e.g. paving slabs or timber supports which are laid directly on the soil; permanent foundations are prohibited.
· Only one shed per plot holder which must be sited within the cartilage of the plot, at the rear of the plot, and must not inconvenience any other plot holder
· The plot holder is entirely responsible for all aspects of security and safety.
· Sheds must be well maintained and kept in good order by the use of a natural wood colour shed preservative. Ideally black, so they fade in to the background.
· Sheds can only be used for storage purposes and under no circumstances is anyone to sleep inside a shed.
· All sheds must be removed on termination of the tenancy at the plot holder’s expense.
· No livestock can be kept in any shed.
· No hazardous items or chemicals may be stored in any shed.
· A shed must not be erected so as to cause any nuisance or interference to neighbouring plots (e.g. by overshadowing and water run-off).
· The exact proposed location of the shed must be agreed with your site rep and/or the Lettings officer prior to installation.
If you wish to erect a shed, please complete the request form below, and return to Lettings.
- The framework can be wood, metal or plastic.
- The framework covering to be some form of polythene; no glass or rigid glass substitutes allowed.
- The framework must sit on the ground without any permanent solid base.
- Maximum of 1 polytunnel per plotholder.
- Size: maximum dimensions, 2m wide x 3m long x 2m high.
- The plotholder accepts all liability for the structure.
- The plotholder will remove any structures at the end of their tenancy or when asked to do so by the committee.
- No chemicals or implements to be left or stored within the structure.
- The structure must be well maintained and not be an inconvenience to adjacent plot holders.